I know what you’re thinking… coffee AND cupcakes?! Yum! Yes, yum indeed.
Today is the 21st birthday of a girl that my hubby works with and she made sure everyone knew (who didn’t count down the days to their 21st birthday?!). I’ve met her and Jeff gets along with her really well (we’re actually getting together on Monday to celebrate her birthday and Jeff’s first day at his new job) so I decided to make her some cupcakes.
It is a well known fact that she is a coffeeholic so what better than coffee cupcakes? I adapted this recipe from a cupcake book that I have: Fun Stuff Cupcakes. The frosting is just a typical frosting recipe with coffee instead of whipping cream mixed in. I didn’t want the frosting to be overwhelmingly coffee-flavored since the cupcakes also have coffee in them.
These ended up so moist, they were absolutely delicious! Anywho, I’ll stop rambling and give you the recipe…
- 1 boxed vanilla cake mix*
- 1 (4oz) package chocolate pudding mix
- 1 1/3 cups room temperature brewed coffee (1 2/3 cups for high altitude)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- * add 2 tbsp flour for high altitude
1. Mix all ingredients together and beat until well blended (approximately 2 minutes).
2. Fill prepared muffin cups two-thirds full. (Mine made 24 but if you’re not at a high altitude and therefore don’t add the extra flour and coffee, you’ll probably have a few less.)
3. Bake at 350F for 18-22 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure they are done.
4. Let cool fully.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 4 tbsp room temperature brewed coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2.5-3 cups powdered sugar
1. Cream together butter, coffee, vanilla and salt. (My coffee didn’t mix into the butter completely but I just mixed until the butter was nice and creamy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar until creamy and you reach the desired consistency.
If you want, you could even throw a caramel or chocolate ganache drizzle over the cupcakes.
I’ve also got to show off a little bit:
I made this for a coworker’s son’s second birthday and LOVE the way it turned out! I’ve already warned my husband that, boy or girl, our first child’s birthday party will have a dino cake. I can make it a pink and purple dinosaur if necessary.
Hope you enjoy the mocha cupcakes!! What have you made lately?!