As the birthday cake baker at work, I had another birthday coming up this weekend which we celebrated at work on Friday. I found this recipe for an Easy Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake. Oh my gosh… it was AMAZING!!! Super rich though, so it’ll probably feed more people than you think. I rarely come home with sweets when I take them to work, but we only ate about half of this one and not because people didn’t like it. Everyone loved it. You just really can’t eat too big of a piece. I was actually asked by one of the owners of my company why I was doing that for a living and not just baking. If only…
On a side note, if you haven’t checked out the Six Sisters’ Stuff site, you should. I don’t think I’ve ever made anything from there that hasn’t been absolutely incredible.
One thing I will say about the ice cream cake recipe I used, I would use significantly less melted chocolate chips. As is, it was a layer of chocolate over the cake. Have you ever tried cutting frozen chocolate? Not the easiest thing ever. I think
if I did when I do this cake again, I’ll do it more as a drizzle than a layer.
I also had to trim a significant amount of the cake off so as to make it (a) not a ridiculously tall cake and (b) so the lid would fit on my pan. However, I have to make boxed cakes by the “high altitude” directions, which means I add extra flour and water. This generally leads to 36 rather than the 24 cupcakes a normal boxed mix would make, so I also probably had more cake, but just letting you know my experience.
Also, before you begin a project like this, realize that it takes quite a while because you have to let the cake completely cool, plus let the ice cream soften, but then give it enough time to re-harden in the freezer. You also have to allow a little bit of time before you cut the cake to allow it to soften slightly before cutting in to it.
After making this delicious concoction of devils food cake, cookies n cream ice cream, crushed oreos and melted chocolate, I started thinking of what other kinds of cake and ice cream you could do this with. Wow, the possibilities are endless. Here’s what I came up with (with some help from coworkers and my hubby):
- chocolate cake with cherry, or strawberry, or really any fruit ice cream
- chocolate cake with mint chocolate chip ice cream and crushed thin mints (or mint oreos or Andes mints)
- chocolate cake with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and crushed chocolate chip cookies
- cookie cake with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and a chocolate drizzle
- chocolate cake with banana split ice cream and crushed nilla wafers
- chocolate cake with turtle ice cream and pecans on top with a caramel drizzle
- chocolate cake with rocky road ice cream and walnuts on top
- brownies with chocolate fudge brownie ice cream
- chocolate cake with Snickers ice cream and peanuts on top with a caramel drizzle
- chocolate cake with Reese’s ice cream and crushed peanut butter cookies and/or a melted peanut butter drizzle
- chocolate cake with black raspberry chocolate ice cream with raspberries on top
- chocolate cake with coffee Heath bar ice cream with Heath toffee bits on top
- angel food cake with strawberry ice cream and cool whip
- strawberry cake with strawberries n cream ice cream
- cheesecake with strawberry cheesecake ice cream and graham crackers
- spice cake with pumpkin pecan ice cream and pecans on top
- vanilla cake with orange sherbet (or dreamsicle ice cream) and a vanilla candy melts drizzle
- vanilla cake with cherry vanilla ice cream
- some sort of mocha/coffee flavored cake with coffee ice cream
- confetti cake with birthday cake ice cream
- yellow or butter pecan cake with butter pecan/pecan praline/pralines n cream ice cream with pecans on top
Can you tell I’m kind of a chocoholic? It’s an inherited trait.
I’ve got some other ideas too that I think I’ll need to test out myself before really suggesting them to anyone else. Oh darn, I’ll have to make another ice cream cake. What ever will I do?!
I also decided I want to make these into cupcakes. Doesn’t seem like it would be that hard and I just love cupcakes so much more than cakes! No cutting, plates or forks necessary. Or mini cupcakes… hmm…
Do you have any other ideas? Please comment so we can add to the list!