As I’ve mentioned before, I’m the unofficial.. okay, well, maybe the official… birthday baker at work. One of my coworkers asked if I would make this cake for her and it was so delicious and moist I just had to share. This recipe came from Taste of Home and can be found here.
- 1 boxed white cake mix
- 1 3 oz package strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup mashed strawberries
- 1 container cool whip (or your frosting of choice)
- extra strawberries for decoration (optional)
1. Mix together cake mix, gelatin, water and oil. Beat on low for 1 minute then medium for 4 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Fold egg whites and mashed strawberries into rest of batter.
4. Pour cake into 2 (the original recipe she sent me says 3 but I think that would have made some oddly thin layers) greased and floured 8″ baking tins.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350ºF.
6. Let cool, stack and frost with cool whip (or your frosting of choice but I must say, the cool whip was quite tasty!).
Here are my little side notes:
How do you mash strawberries? Good question. I had no clue and it seemed like a waste to bust out the potato masher for 1/2 cup (which for me was about 4 good size strawberries). I started by cutting them into fourths, then my plan was to smash them up with a fork. Well, that didn’t really work either. I ended up just using my hands and kind of mushed them between my fingers. I’ll admit, it’s an odd feeling but it worked quite well.
The egg whites make this cake so light and fluffy and moist.. mmm… it was amazing. Starting with a boxed mix makes it so easy, too. It’s a great last minute cake when you have that “Oh crap I need a cake nowish” moment.
I’m eager to try this with other flavors too… other berries or maybe lemon… mmm… lemon. I wonder how watermelon cake would taste… do they even make watermelon Jello?! Wow, so I just googled… have you ever seen all the flavors they make?! There’s a ton! Check out their website here. They make a strawberry banana… that sounds like an awesome cake too!
Okay, I’m just rambling now.
Let me know how your cake turns out and what other flavors you try!