My Pinterest addiction continues. However, my husband has become more okay with it because MAN, I have been making some DELICIOUS meals!! Tonight’s meal was no different: monte cristos. The actual recipe is from a Disney website and can be found here. However, I tweaked it a little thanks to Rachael Ray making her Italian Monte Cristos on her daytime show last week.
This is a quick meal that can come together in less than 30 minutes so it’s great to have if you’re in a time-crunch. It’s also made with ingredients you probably have around anyway.
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 slices egg bread (challah works well), sliced 1/2-inch thick (I used buttermilk bread)
- 8 thin slices ham
- 8 thin slices turkey
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- oil for griddle (we used olive oil but use whatever you like)
- raspberry preserves
1. Put together your sandwiches with the meat and cheese.
2. Whisk the egg together with the water.
3. Whisk in the flour, salt and baking powder until smooth.
4. Dip sandwiches into batter and place on griddle preheated to 325ºF.
5. Cook until lightly browned on the outside. Ours took about 20 minutes but you’ll need to watch them. Flip them as necessary.
6. Serve with a side of raspberry preserves for dipping.
Since it’s just my husband and I, we only made 2 sandwiches but I froze the batter to use in the future because it makes WAY more than you need but you can’t exactly do half an egg too easily.
Also, for all you bacon-lovers out there like my husband, he added bacon to his and said it was fabulous that way too.
The original recipe says to fry the sandwiches but when I was watching Rachael Ray, she cooked them on the griddle so we figured we would try that. Although it does take longer I think it turned out GREAT and I feel slightly better for my waistline when I’m cooking in just a little bit of oil rather than dousing my entire sandwich in it.
Hope you enjoy!